I LOVE gym culture, I really do, BUT with that said, RANT ON…
Last night in the gym only solidified why working out in the morning is best. HOLY SMOKES, it was like I entered another dimension, a dimension full of half-wits aching for a torn RTC or blown disc. I have trained in our gym at night many times but have never seen it like that, I spoke with a few of the livid regulars and all they said was, “Monday Warriors” as they shook their head in disgust. It was ‘The Thunderdome,’ survival of the A-hole, here are some of things I witnessed.
- While one lifter was mid set on bench press, an impatient tool put his 25lb plate back on the weight rack tree, his rear end HITTING the bar of guy on bench. No “I’m sorry” or “Ha, I have no reason to be here (on earth).”
- One regular lifter got off his bench in DB area to grab another weight and one BRAH jumped on his bench with no word, I believe I saw fumes out of the regular’s ears.
- While finishing up my core circuit wedged in the very back corner (ONLY free area) and sharing the ab wheel with another regular, I saw two girls jogging laps around the free weight area and treadmills (WTF?!)
- Saw one person chatting on phone on Hammer Strength with people waiting
- Some horrendous outside the knee swing variation with two dumbbells, shudder
- A young women doing crunches on bench in DB area, no weight training, JUST crunches, on one of the four benches, with people waiting to lift
- My mind was swirling but these are just a few that I recall
I am glad I did not enter the room with power racks, kettlebells, and Olympic platforms, I can only imagine the horrors. I did see Keri exit the performance room with her eyes as wide as saucers, she has not had the heart to tell me what she witnessed. There were plenty of idiots afoot, but also a lot of frustrated folks who have a mission when they enter the gym and really look forward to that time of day to train. I feel sorry for those people. Hopefully it was just ‘Monday Warriors’ syndrome and they will have their Xanadu back today.
Weight training is a privilege not a right, hire a trainer or study up so that you do not injure yourself or others. In today’s day and age, there is no excuse for these shenanigans. Treat the gym, fellow lifters, and equipment with respect or GET OUT!
3 minute Stairmaster, my mind was ready to explode, had no patience for cardio warm-up just wanted to get in and get out
With the gym being so busy meant doing supersets was near impossible so this is what I managed.
Bench Press 12/10/8/6
Incline Barbell Press 12/10/8/6 – With my shoulder injuries I prefer the path of DB for incline but all benches were full
Seated Row 12/10/8/6
- DB Fly 12/10/8/6
- DB Pullover 12/10/8/6
Bent Row 12/10/8/6
- Ab Wheel 4 x 5
- Crunch 4 x 10
- Reverse Crunch 4 x 10
30 min 3.5MPH @5 degree walk
OH Barbell Press 8/6/4/2
- Arnold Press 12/10/8/6/4
- Alt. Chins 4 x 2 (the only pull up/dip station is the weighted assisted type, it is OUT OF ORDER due to weight rack broken, I always use for bodyweight pull-ups/dips but got caught by trainer and kicked off after fourth set)
- DB Lateral raise 12/10/8/6
- DB Front Raise 12/10/8/6
- Bent Bar curl 12/10/8/6
- OH Tri ext. 12/10/8/6
- Bench Dips 20/18/16/14
- Supinating Curl 12/10/8/6
- Tri Push down 20/18/16/14
- Machine curl 20/18/16/14
- Front Plank 4 x 30″